Saturday, September 23, 2006

I Found a Pill in All That Jam

The title of this entry is a reference to this blog entry from a few days ago, when I was wondering why The Rabid Right was suddenly so righteously pushing for vote verification.

I think I've got it figured out: BAIT AND SWITCH. What's the difference between "vote" verification and "votER verification"? Not much, I believe, if you are a Republican fomenting strategy for the next election.

Of course everyone wants every *vote* counted, and a paper trail for every vote--that's VOTE verification.

What I am less certain about is who the Rabid Right thinks is voting illegally, so as to also be wanting votER verification.

I hope the two issues will not become confused in peoples' minds, but I fear they will.

Personally, I am of the opinion that these days, Republicans will have a *harder* time winning elections that are absolutely free, fair and verifiable. For that reason, I am *theoretically* in favor of votER verification WITH a couple caveats: the IDs must be free of charge (or the government pays to get them for those under a certain income level), and *every effort* must be made to ensure that the elderly, and those who otherwise might be disenfranchised, have an opportunity to *easily* secure the required ID.

The problem is, I don't think that is going to happen; the GOP has some history of issuing mandates that they aren't willing to fund. Maybe they'd go back later and fund it, maybe not--but the question itself is troubling.

I have a personal example to share.

My maternal grandmother will be 100 years old next month. She DOES NOT HAVE a photo ID.

In fact, she doesn't even have a birth certificate.

The only record we've (the family) has *ever* had of Grandmother's birth is a notation in an old family Bible (and her word on it, of course. ;>). But it has, until now, always been good enough to get her a driver's license, a social security card, a voter registration card, etc.

She also uses a walker (or a cane, depending on circumstances) to get around.

Should my grandmother be denied the opportunity to vote, if she so chooses, just because she can't produce a *photo* ID???

1 Comments:

At 12:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, truthsmack!

By way of introduction, I am Penny Forrester, a tired and retired librarian from right here in Greenville.

I have been enjoying your posts and comments in the Greenville News lately. Actually, I am thrilled to see some "liberals" finally posting comments and writing letters to the editor.

I have come across a couple of articles I thought you might like to read, but I am not certain how to get them to you.

You are very well read, so you might have seen them already.

The first is titled: "A textbook definition of cowardice." This is an MSNBC commentary about Pres. Clinton's explosion on the Chris Wallace' show (Mike must really be hanging his head!).

The second, from SLATE magazine, is "Don't Mention the War:
Why candidates aren't talking about what to do in Iraq."

I am not certain how to post them to you. However, if you trust me enough to email me, I can send them to you as attachments.

My email address:
penelope541@msn.com

Again, I truly appreciate your writing and your work.

Penny

p.s. Please forgive any typos. I am (very slowly) becoming accustomed to my new laptop.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home