Friday, November 17, 2006

Zombie-like, "War on Christmas" Resurrected Again for 2006

The American Family Association has taken Best Buy to task for their choosing to stick with "Happy Holidays" this year instead of letting the Christian Right bully them into saying "Merry Christmas."

See if you get the disconnect here, as presented in the AFA's action alert (which I received by email on Wednesday):

Dawn Bryant, a spokeswoman at Best Buy Co. Inc., says their advertising will not be using the term "Merry Christmas." "We are going to continue to use the term holiday because there are several holidays throughout that time period, and we certainly need to be respectful of all of them," Bryant said. Click here for reference article.

While many other retailers have decided to begin reusing "Merry Christmas", Best Buy will not be among them. Best Buy considers the use of Merry Christmas to be disrespectful.


Best Buy states they want to be respectful to everyone by using a more generic word (and indeed "holidays" means "holy days") that covers all the seasonal holidays; but somehow, the AFA translates that into disrespect. Did I miss something?

I had to go to Wal-Mart today. Target doesn't sell L'eggs knee highs anymore, and I'll be damned if I'm going to pay $2.50 for a pair of knee highs I'll probably put a run in the same day. Hubby and I were recently talking about what we would do if a greeter or other store employee said "Merry Christmas" to us on our way in or out. LOL.

The short answer will be, "I'm agnostic." The long answer will be, "I'm a witch, we celebrate the winter solstice... I want to speak to the manager!" If I'm in a bad mood that day (which thankfully doesn't happen often), it'll just be "f**k off."
<;}>

2 Comments:

At 8:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

speaking of the "war on christmas", check out "attack on christmas" under "manipulation issues" at www.christianforcongress.com.

i trust i can count on your vote.

 
At 2:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So nice to see another southern woman that "gets it." There are too few of us I'm afraid.

But girlfriend....knee highs??? I looked up your profile to see your age and you're my age. You gotta drop the old lady knee highs. Women now wear shoes without any type of hose, except for black sheer hose for skirts or black tights for boots.

We must bring you up to date....you'll lose 10 years in your appearance. Trust me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home